MOTIVATION LETTER? APPEAL?

Discuss the good and the bad of licencing and re-licencing your firearms

MOTIVATION LETTER? APPEAL?

Postby sabretooth » Mon, 2010-04-12 12:14

Hi Gents

I recently received a letter of refusal after submitting my application in October 2008. The reasons given was that i "did not provide adequate reasons to prove that the need exists to posses the particular firearm and that the need cannot be satisfied by any other means than possessing the said said firearm" !!!!!!!!!!!!
also i did not convince the registrar that the needs exists that necessitate the possession of the firearm!!!!!!
now i would like to appeal by submitting a comprehensive motivation as requested by them.

My question is: What are the main pointers that should or should not be in a motivation letter with regards to new firearm application :?:
I have tried the seach option but came up with nothing concrete :? any assistance is greatly appreciated. Also does the make and model of the firearm have anything to do with the application :?: i bought a CZ-75 9mm. I know its old but like a toyota its a die hard and i got it for a good price....
thanks
..in appeal process..
:(
sabretooth

Re: MOTIVATION LETTER? APPEAL?

Postby sabretooth » Mon, 2010-04-12 14:14

no replies :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
..in appeal process..
sabretooth

Postby wrm » Mon, 2010-04-12 16:09

Gits broer you're impatient.

From http://www.gunformation.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=1539

I included (among other things) the following in my application for a firearm for self defense....

* Signed contracts with clients which includes proof of the the industrial areas they are in
* Previous crime cuttings from newspapers regarding these areas (hijackings)
* Invoices sent to clients in bad areas which add up to quite a substantial amount of money (or they did for the ones I chose to send)
* License & registration & invoice copies of my sports car proving I own it and its value
* Simple drawings to show that the only way to get to my clients is through "dangerous" areas
* Credit card statements for 3 months showing a substantial turnover on my credit cards (incl business cards) and the limits thereof, ie. money I have access to
* Bank statements to show the amount of money I would have access to should I forced by criminals to draw/hand/transfer it over

Total number of pages was 73 as far as I remember.

The more info you include, less chance you have of a refusal. Take the time to sit and think what the risks to your life are if you are a victim of crime, write down in point form everything, then expand. It took me about two weeks to compile all the info required and it was well worth it.

Application was approved in 3 months in the beginning of 2006, no questions asked.

There's a lot of info on this site if you look around a bit.
[x]No Guns [x]No Rights [x]No Future [x]No Way
wrm

Postby sabretooth » Mon, 2010-04-12 16:21

wrm wrote:Gits broer you're impatient.

I included (among other things) the following in my application for a firearm for self defense....

* Signed contracts with clients which includes proof of the the industrial areas they are in
* Invoices sent to clients in bad areas which add up to quite a substantial amount of money (or they did for the ones I chose to send)
* License & registration & invoice copies of my sports car proving I own it and its value
* Simple drawings to show that the only way to get to my clients is through "dangerous" areas
* Credit card statements for 3 months showing a substantial turnover on my credit cards (incl business cards) and the limits thereof, ie. money I have access to
* Bank statements to show the amount of money I would have access to should I forced by criminals to draw/hand/transfer it over

The more info you include, less chance you have of a refusal. Take the time to sit and think what the risks to your life are if you are a victim of crime, write down in point form everything, then expand. It took me about two weeks to compile all the info required and it was well worth it.

Application was approved in 3 months in the beginning of 2006, no questions asked.

hey sorry for the impatience buddy :oops: just want to get this letter off and sent :evil:
thanks for the info, if there is anything else you or anyone one else can think of please include it..
:idea: maybe this topic should be a sticky in one of your threads as many guys look for this kinda info with regards to new firearm licences, all you experienced guys can update it with info :idea:
also found a good example on the defensive training website :wink:
thanks
..in appeal process..
sabretooth

Postby sabretooth » Mon, 2010-04-12 16:26

sabretooth wrote:
wrm wrote:Gits broer you're impatient.

please direct me to the link :idea: i have tried, seached with the key words motivational letter etc but did not come right :cry:
..in appeal process..
sabretooth

Postby wrm » Mon, 2010-04-12 16:37

Point is, "the more info you include the less chance you have of refusal".

SAPS have repeatedly refused to tell us what information they want, they're afraid we set up a stock framework that everyone then uses (which would be the obvious thing, but that would make it too easy).

But you've already been refused. You can't add any information at this stage. All you can say is that they havn't applied their minds properly.

Or at least this is how I understand it.

W
[x]No Guns [x]No Rights [x]No Future [x]No Way
wrm

Return to Licencing and re-licencing